8 Strategies to Achieve a Healthy Lifestyle
Although you must follow through with certain behaviors when you’re seeking to live a healthier life style, many experts believe that healthy behaviors have their roots in your mind. What you think and believe will determine how well you’ll follow through and apply the paradigm of a healthy lifestyle in your daily existence.
Consider these mind strategies to galvanize your efforts for a healthy lifestyle:
1. Recognize your prior life successes. Take some time to reflect on what you’ve been successful at in the past. Then, use those prior life successes as evidence that you can be successful at something.
• Maybe you’re proud of the fact you worked yourself through college.
• Perhaps you’re known as the co-worker to go to when seeking work knowledge.
• Maybe you took care of your ailing mother and nursed her back to health.
• You can use these past successes to your advantage in the present!
2. Consider what’s good and positive about your life currently. Perhaps you live in a lovely apartment located just where you want to be. Maybe you’re in a great relationship and you’re optimistic about how it’s progressing.
• When you focus on the positive things in your life, you’ll be more motivated to strive for good health.
3. Think about the connections between healthy habits and feeling good. For example, reflect on how great you feel physically and emotionally when you eat a good breakfast. Also, take notice of how well you can relax and sleep when you skip that heavy snack in the evening.
• When you recognize the close relationship between your daily lifestyle choices and your emotions, you’ll be more motivated to make healthy lifestyle choices.
4. Renew your commitment to your own health each day. Determine what you really want for yourself and your future.
• What kind of lifestyle do you desire? A life where you sit in front of the television all evening and most weekends or one where you’re active, trying new physical activities all the time, and discovering adventure?
5. Make it a personal goal to become physically and emotionally stronger. When you are physically strong, emotional strength follows.
6. Realize that you can eat the flavors and foods you want in moderation. Use positive, optimistic thinking regarding nutrition. Avoid taking the approach that you must deny yourself of the tastes you love.
• Instead, say that there’s nothing you can’t have as long as you limit the portions. And then remind yourself of all the healthy good food you can have like juicy fruits, savory vegetables, and high protein snacks.
7. Take it one day at a time. Living your life one day at a time keeps things simple. Say to yourself, “Just for today, I will eat fresh and healthy foods and I will exercise.” Recognize that although tomorrow is another day, for now, you’ll stay on the path you’ve chosen.
8. Have faith and confidence in yourself. This may require a daily pep talk. Remind yourself of your prior accomplishments and don’t anticipate failure.
Apply these strategies and you’ll be rewarded with a sense of accomplishment and a healthier lifestyle. A healthy lifestyle means a better life experience each day.